HIPPY USA permits some flexibility with the model in cases where adaptations are deemed necessary due to local conditions; however, it requires that all affiliate sites adhere to core elements that are essential to effective programming. HIPPY USA must review and approve all adaptations. Technical assistance is provided to guide local affiliate sites in determining which adaptation should be implemented and the method of implementation, and to promote efficacy and model integrity.
Examples of adaptations include:
- Approaches that honor family and community values;
- Approaches that foster safety and delivery in alternative living environments;
- Approaches that consider the pace of parenting education;
- Approaches that modify the extent to which verbal and nonverbal communication strategies are used; and
- Approaches that modify the extent or method of service delivery in emergency situations.