Two documents, Standards of Practice for Sponsoring Agencies and Competencies for Outreach Workers, provide guidance to sponsoring agencies implementing MIHOW.
Sites must participate in the Commitment to Excellence MIHOW Accreditation Program (CEMAP) to become accredited. The process uses the MIHOW Standards of Practice for Sponsoring Agencies as a foundation and ensures that MIHOW maintains quality and consistency. VUSN is responsible for reviewing and recognizing sites. The process includes the following steps:
- The site submits a letter to VUSN that acknowledges the agency’s commitment to work toward the MIHOW Standards of Practice and describes steps taken toward achieving the standards.
- Regional Consultants help each site develop an action plan and time line for achieving the standards.
- The site submits a self-appraisal with a description of how it has met each standard. VUSN staff conduct in-depth phone interviews with agency staff to determine the site’s readiness for an on-site review.
- A review team consisting of a site leader from outside the applicant state, an outreach worker, and a VUSN representative visit the site. The team conducts a thorough case review and interviews staff, community partners, board members, and program participants to determine adherence to model standards.
- The review team reports its recommendation to the CEMAP Review Board and the Board determines if the site has met the standards