Several manuals are available to support implementation, including an operations manual, practice manual, supervision manual, and policy and procedures manual.
Implementing Early Start (New Zealand)
Implementation last updated: 2015
The information in this profile reflects feedback, if provided, from this model’s developer as of the above date. The description of the implementation of the model(s) here may differ from how the model(s) was implemented in the research reviewed to determine this model’s evidence of effectiveness. Inclusion in the implementation report does not mean the practices described meet the HHS criteria for evidence of effectiveness. Similarly, models described here may not all have impact studies, and those with impact studies may vary in their effectiveness. Please see the Effectiveness button on the left for more information about research on the effectiveness of the models discussed here.
Materials and forms to support implementation
Service delivery forms
Early Start uses an Active Client Database (ACD) to record all contacts with families, case notes, planning, and screening. Home visitors are required to enter data into ACD.
All families complete an Individual Family Assessment. After the one-month trial period and before full enrollment, families complete an in-depth needs assessment based on a modified version of the Kempe Family Stress Checklist. Additional assessment tools used by home visitors include:
- Family Violence Assessment
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale
- Assessments of drug and alcohol use
- Triple P Assessment tools, including assessments of child behaviors and temperament, depression and anxiety, and parenting
All Early Start families receive services based on four established curricula:
- Partnership in Parenting Education (PIPE) “Listen, Love, Play,” which focuses on listening, trust, language, problem solving, feelings, and how babies learn
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program), which focuses on positive parenting practices and means to address childhood behavior problems
- Getting Ready for School focused on 4 year olds
- Incredible Years
Early Start Project Ltd. undergoes two comprehensive audits per year by accredited auditors from the Ministry of Social Development, which monitors Early Start performance against set standards.
Information about the Key Operating Policies and Procedures (KOPPS) performance standards is available from Early Start Project Ltd.
The information contained on this page was last updated in July 2015. Recommended Further Reading lists the sources for this information. In addition, the information contained in this profile was reviewed for accuracy by Early Start Project Ltd. on April 13, 2015. HomVEE reserves the right to edit the profile for clarity and consistency.